The Nigerian Wedding reception is a festive and colorful event. Festive because most brides and grooms try to incorporate as much tradition and culture into the reception; and, colorful because you can expect that most of the guest also exert their effort in bringing in a taste of the Nigerian tradition into the event. In a Nigerian wedding reception, more color is added because you can expect most of the guests to come in the traditional attire. And it is always expected that wedding rituals will be fun.
The Wedding Reception takes up around 4-5 hours and approximately 50-70 percent of the wedding budget. Not only does it take most of the time of the event but it also takes up the majority of the wedding budget. Thus, the couples have to put in most of their effort in carefully planning the details and logistics of the reception as much as they can.
Here are 5 aspects to consider in planning for your wedding reception.
5. Wedding Decorations. In Nigeria, the Cowrie shell is the most common and most important decor that has to be present in the reception area. The Cowrie shells represent fertility and prosperity for the new family. Nigerian brides are actually the more particular on the decors, secondary to the wedding venue, this is as important as this will dictate the mood and atmosphere of your wedding day. It is important that you decide on the motif and theme that you would like to use for your wedding to make sure that this compliments to the other aspects of the wedding like the gowns and the venues. If you have planned well, wedding decors need not be extravagant, you may play with the table sizes to save on table centerpieces, you may go with larger-sized balloons to fill in party spaces for a low cost.
4. Wedding Invitations. Expect that 80-90 percent of all that you will invite will attend. A very important aspect in budgeting for the wedding is the number of guests. Thus, it is important that couples send the wedding invitations early to get possible feedback on who is coming and who is not. This way, you get a more close to realistic headcount important for the wedding planning. For wedding invitations, couples can add Adinkra Symbols to add a Nigerian hint for the guests.
3. Wedding Venue. The wedding venue is a major aspect of your wedding. Not only does it set the atmosphere for the actual event and memorabilia but it also sets the pace of your budgeting. A venue that offers a fee for packages inclusive of both venue, furniture and decor might cut your costs off significantly. Also, when talking about wedding venues, make sure you always have a plan B for unexpected cases like weather changes or outdoor venues or power outages.
2. Wedding Budget. Make sure that you define the vital aspects of your wedding that needs budget allocation. Then, list them in priority numbers. After such, define the budget for each segment and make sure to allow margin for changes. Even though you have prepared a flexible budget for this big event, it helps to know that you do not have to be extravagant on this day. Learn some budget tips from those experiences available for free on the internet and from friends and family members who have been there. Some example of saving tips includes listing of inexpensive stylish party tokens, rethinking of humble decorations, getting service packages over a la carte service renting, or getting a simple cake perked up with fresh flowers instead of showing off the ones with delicate icing that comes off from expensive labor.
1. Wedding Program. If the wedding ceremony is what’s all that matters to the couples, the wedding program is what makes the whole event worth remembering for your guests. To emphasize the Nigerian theme of your wedding, couples must make sure to incorporate Nigerian wedding rituals and traditions into the Wedding Program. Not only does this solemnify the rituals, but it also involves everyone in the reception in rekindling Nigeria values and culture into their hearts. Make sure that your party host is connected to both of your lives so he/she makes a balance in acknowledging both parties. You have to keep each part of the program as concise to save on time and assure that all the parts of the program as followed before the time is up. It is also important to prepare an ice breaker to divert leading moments to personal indulgence on some overwhelmed speakers. Limit the number of speakers to contain the conversations and topics in the event. Make sure that you prepare for a worth-remembering stylish “thank you” part and departing portion of the program. It matters when the event ends with a “bang!”